Monday, March 3, 2008

Something that saddens me...

I often digress from shoes, and I think that it's ok to do so, but in particular I felt compelled to write about this.

Reading a new article on Carine Roitfeld made me think. Young women are so easily pressured and influenced by people and industries that seem glamourous to the point of believing their bodies and looks must emulate those that we admire. It's just simply not true.

From the article (p. 3):

“A scale. So people always say that I weigh my staff, and it is totally wrong. All my girls are very skinny and very chic and very beautiful. And if they are not beautiful, well, then they are very charming. So people always say that I weigh them, but no. I don’t weigh my girls.”

and

“Doesn’t she look like Nicole Kidman?” Roitfeld says of the assistant posted at her door. “I told you, all the girl who work at French
Vogue are vewy skinny and beautiful.”

I find this oh so troublesome as so many fashion magazines, bloggers and fashionable women perpetuate the clothes horse ideal. It's just so unnatural.

I want to start a movement - whoever wants to join me can. I state this as a confident young woman. Confident in my body, my looks and my inner self.

I am 24 and I don't need to be skinny to wear amazing clothes. I look amazing in the clothes I own.


3 comments :

sonny said...

you go girl !

MISS GLITZY said...

And so be it! I totally agree with you. Ok for the tag, I've got to think about it...

triciabelle said...

Amen to that!