Thursday, December 20, 2007

Australian shoe shopping

When I dream of living overseas, I dream of being able to shop in many different places, having access to shops full to the brim with stylish and fashion forward shoes. Shoe shopping in Australia is ridiculously difficult with prices for those fashion forward shoes so skyhigh, and the cheap knockoffs, falling apart in less than a week.

The few and far between shoe designers such as Tristan Blair provide a slightly more affordable quality shoe, but it's still out of reach of most fashionable young women living on salaries that cannot afford such spending. Alex and Alex are a famed label providing some great shoes, but the variety can leave a lot to be desired. Stockists are hard to find, although prices are very reasonable.

Topshop is not Sportsgirl. Let's not kid ourselves... David Jones and Myer offer some great options from some well known brands but they are not H&M, Miss Selfridges or Urban Outfitters...

Australia is missing out.

American Apparel just opened a new store down the road from my work, but I hate AA. It doesn't appeal to me, but obviously it appeals to many. I can only dream of an Australian outlet for Urban Outfitters or H&M. Dream on it seems.

The boutique shops we rely on provide us with some great options but this is not nearly enough when in comparision to what Londoners or New Yorkers are offered, our style is still among the best (debatable I know).

I hope to one day be a shoe designer and have my own boutique, but to have the reach of a large brand and stock amazing brands in a large store, would be the ultimate (and probably unachievable) ideal.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

hey hun!

I love your blog. Good to see you updating more. but i couldnt help notice your absence from cs! :( You havent left have you? We miss you. Please resurface.

arabella xo

Oh and you will make a fab shoe designer one day!!

MISS GLITZY said...

Interesting note, I didn't know that it was so difficult to shop shoe in Australia. So you want to be a shoe designer that's interesting too and I quite understand your ideal.

Katya said...

bella, just checked out zara here, you would die, honestly, gorgeous things at decent prices.xxx

Anonymous said...

AA isn't actually yet, I went there a week ago and they don't even have fittings in the shop yet.

Shoes Mend Hearts said...

I can't believe AA still isn't open, I also checked the other day! Sorry for my false advertising!

Vendredi13 said...

Funny enough I had the same thought upon arriving in Melbourne. Lots of great clothes, not so great shoes, why is that ? So far I have only found shoes I liked in Witchery and Nine West, but haven't found any designers worth of interest yet, need to keep looking !

Carla said...

There are very few good shoe shops, particularly those that are independent and stock shoes that are just a little bit different.

The ones that have good shoes are tres expensive and therefore totally unaffordable for the everyday gal.